At the intersection of postmodernity, Christendom and suburban American culture

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

MY SON IS IN CHINA!!!


I am kind of stunned at the reality of it. That's a picture of my son Derek (standing, fourth from the left) and a bunch of his high school friends standing in front of the Gate of Heavenly Peace in Tiananmen Square!

Derek in front of Mount Rushmore, on the edge of the Grand Canyon, under the geodesic dome at Epcot/Disney World... that all seems conventional enough to me to process easily. Even off to some kind of mission trip to Central America or some backwoods hillbilly hamlet down in Appalachia somewhere. But this...?

MY SON IS IN CHINA!!!

And check out this nutty strange summary of the group's first day on their trip from the Explorica.com Tour Diary:

"We are so happy we are in china,we can't believe it.This is a city complitely different from us.we are really enjoyed to stay in china.Today we did a lot of place,we went to the Tiananmen square,The Great hall of people,The Forbidden city,The summer palace and the Hutong tour,this city fill of old history,we are happy to choose china tour."

I love it! One day in Beijing and they are already speaking Engrish!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So amazingly cool. That is one place I have yet to visit but that I have always wanted to. Somehow thinking of our children in these far-flung places is even more mind-bending.

Julie

David Blakeslee said...

The wierd thing is seeing this typical looking group of local high-school kids that I see fairly regularly, standing there posing so casually in places that have pretty much defined the idea of "far flung exotic destinations" in my mind for so many years.