At the intersection of postmodernity, Christendom and suburban American culture

Friday, January 12, 2007

Curse of the Golden Flower

Julie (my wife) is in Atlanta tonight on a business trip. That's a pretty unusual occurrence, since she's a floral designer who has never traveled at all on behalf of her employer, but they decided to send her and a couple of colleagues on a buying trip to the ATL. Believe it or not, their task is to order Christmas decorative supplies that will be delivered this coming July and retailed shortly after that. I thought we just got past all that Christmas holiday stuff!

But anyway, that left me with a lot of free time on my hands tonight. It was just Derek and I at home, with my twin sons working and my daughter at her dorm. So we decided to take in a flick. I was leaning toward "Children of Men" but Derek is pretty interested in China, since he traveled there this past summer. So he suggested "Curse of the Golden Flower," which I had heard about but wasn't really tracking all that closely. Still, I enjoyed "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and "Hero" (and "Kung Fu Hustle," while I'm at it!) so I figured that was a good choice.

I know I just raved about "King of Kings" yesterday (and again today in another comment) so I'll keep my fan-boy tendencies in check here. Let me just say that if you are in the mood for incredibly vivid, colorful pageantry and a big dose of Asian palace intrigues, this is the movie for you. It's an amazing visual feast - the sets, the costumes, the martial arts action (though this is not a "kung fu flick" - the other movies I mentioned above are superior offerings along that line, though this one has some monumental battle scenes, albeit with a lot of CGI assistance.) The acting per se isn't all that exceptional - the characterizations are more "operatic" than "dramatic" - but the actors are gorgeous - especially the two leading women, Gong Li and Man Li!

The story may not connect very well with many in the Western audience - there's nothing close to the kind of tidy resolution or predictable settling of scores that we're used to in our Hollywood productions, but that's part of what I liked about it. A chance to venture more deeply into the lore of a different culture, though I imagine that this isn't Chinese story-telling along strictly traditional lines either. It's an idealized fantasy, even a postmodern mash-up of sorts, carrying it's own commentary to Asian and Western audiences alike about the perils of centralized power (imperial or otherwise) and the devastating effects that such power has on people and nations when it becomes an end in itself.

To some people, this will be a phenomenal masterpiece, while others may find it elusively less-than-satisfying. I think it's worth checking out on account of its production values at least, and more highly recommended if you enjoyed earlier Chinese costume epics.

4 comments:

Bilbo said...

Hi Dave,

I saw the previews of this film the other day and it looked pretty good but I will probably wait until it comes out on DVD before I see it since I really want to see Children of Men and Pan's Labyrinth. I am a big fan of the various Chinese releases over the past four or five years. If you liked Hero and Crouching Tiger you might check out Jet Li's Fearless and House of the Flying Daggers. I really liked The House of the Flying Daggers. It too is a beautiful film with a great soundtrack...

Chuck said...

Thanks for the review - I loved "Hero" - certainly a poetic movie. And thanks, Bilbo, for the reminder about "House of the Flying Daggers" - I need to add that to my Blockbuster queue.

This genre still takes me back nostalgically to the first time I saw Kurosawa's "Ran". Talk about revolutionizing my view of film...

On the opposite extreme, if you want a pure escape and exercise in silliness, you should check out "Kung Pow (Enter The Fist)".

Unknown said...

I'm excited! Thanks for sharing. Jon and I are trying to think of something to see tonight and he's already seen Children of Men. This sounds like a great choice.

David Blakeslee said...

I had heard from some friends whose judgment I generally trust that HoFD was not as good as Hero. That doesn't mean I never intend to see it, I just hadn't prioritized it as much. I'm happy to see a counter-point here, and will accordingly bump it further up on my list.

"Ran" is a tremendous film. It was the first Asian epic I ever saw, back in the 80's. I have a copy on VHS and eventually intend to get it on DVD - Criterion came out with an enticing set a year or two ago. They also have a new edition of Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai," a 3-disc set that replaces the single disc version that I own.

I have the feeling that I'm in the midst of an extended phase of film-related blog posts. There are more to come as I work my way through some of the new DVDs I got for Christmas...