At the intersection of postmodernity, Christendom and suburban American culture

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Hy Zaret

I just had to blog about this... The song "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers just came up on my random shuffle, and it occurred to me that the lyricist for this timeless classic, of which 300 different recordings by various artists are known to exist, just passed away recently. Ordinarily I don't do obits on just anyone who departs this life, but I do have to wonder what it would be like to write a song that resonates this strongly not only with the general public but so many performers. The success of this tune is enough to earn my sincere admiration.

So here's the link to the NY Times obituary on Hy Zaret, who went on to have an interesting career writing other types of music, but who put some of the most earnestly pleading romantic thoughts of our times into words.

1 comments:

kc bob said...

Thanks for remembering Hy. In honor of his passing I have initiated an Unchained Melody Sing Off to ascertain the best rendition of the song.