At the intersection of postmodernity, Christendom and suburban American culture

Monday, December 11, 2006

Trans-Siberian Orchestra: Hot... and Cold

I worked another Van Andel Event on Sunday night, but really don't feel moved to wax poetic like I did for the Who last week. The gig was a holiday concert by the Trans Siberian Orchestra, pretty much the same show that they performed and that I worked last year. This time I got to see a portion of the fabulous stage show, featuring lights, lasers, fireballs and voluminous billows of stage fog. And a killer sound system and all sorts of crowd pleasing maneuvers that helped to sell out two shows on the same day to a fanatical audience, many of whom saw the same group do the same thing just a year ago!

Though I could have stuck around and taken in the last portion of the spectacle, I really just wasn't into it for whatever reason. I watched their adaptation of Beethoven's Fifth, and then a "dueling keyboard" piece where two very talented musicians traded licks with each other and the crowd lustily cheered them on. I suppose that there are occasions when I could get pretty enthusiastic about the pyrotechnics and the sheer sensation of it all, but I think what failed to draw me in was that I didn't feel any kind of emotional connection with the performers, and their obvious musical and theatrical proficiency, employed to produce this synthesis of middle-brow classical music, sentimental holiday favorites and mullet-flipping arena rock histrionics in their fullest glory, kind of left me cold, to be perfectly honest. (This link will show you lighting effects from past tours) Not that I begrudge anyone the good time that I know was had by so many - this was definitely a very pumped up and enthusiastic crowd - but I guess this program plays it so safe and caters so much to the mainstream that there just wasn't enough of an edge for me to grab on to. Maybe if I had adopted a more ironic perspective on the whole thing... But in any case, I'll be at the Arena again tomorrow night, for an event I'm actually kind of intrigued about, from a sociological perspective: The Cheetah Girls!

4 comments:

juanito said...

LOL!
"mullet-flipping arena rock histrionics"

But... you make it sound like a bad thing! :)

Chuck said...

The music of TSO, like Yanni and others, are just too sterile and pompous for my tasts. Pyrotechnics are no substitutes for good compositions and arrangements.

Thanks for the post on The Who - I'm really enjoying Endless Wire, especially the title track

David Blakeslee said...

Juanito... Some of my best friends are mullet-flippers... not that there's anything wrong with that...!

It's not a bad thing at all, actually, in my book. I mean, I can't help but view such antics with a bit of ironic detachment - if I took them seriously, I'd feel like an utter dweeb. But for what they are, they're cool. There are just times when the combination doesn't work so well for me and last night was one of them. I could see myself going as a paid customer one of these years just to take in the sights, but I don't think the show or the band would make much of a lasting impression on me, for most of the reasons that Chuck alludes to in his comment. I agree that pyrotechnics are just frosting on the cake. Compositions and arrangements are important (and I think one has to acknowledge that TSO is a highly disciplined, proficient troupe of musicians) but there needs to be some kind of gritty personal authenticity for the music to really connect with me, and the TSO show struck me as a collection of "can't miss" hooks - just a bit too calculated... everything remains on the leash. With bands like the Who and Pearl Jam (the two best I've seen at VAA this year, hands down) one gets the sense that they are dancing on the edge of the cliff, which is always exciting, even if they are veteran performers who know enough to reel it in before they get into serious danger.

Anonymous said...

I've seen 'em every year for the past three...and I just love the over the topness of it all...

I do think it's pompous. I do think it's histronical(?)...

But it's just so kitschy it's great...

Did they do "Layla" for you guys? That was the best part for me.