
Crooks and Liars presents: Stephen Colbert!
This website has a copy of the increasingly popular video clip of Stephen Colbert's astonishing presentation at this past weekend's "White House Correspondent's Dinner." What made his comments more noteworthy than the usual routine that he pulls off so brilliantly on the late-night "Colbert Report" (remember to keep both t's silent!) was his audience, which included the President of the USA, members of his cabinet, many other examples of the high and mighty, as well as the fawning sycophantic press corps that has been way too beholden and passive in settling for a stenographers role over the course of the current administration.
Watch the clip on a stream or download it for posterity - it's one of the most potent political/satirical statements I've seen in a long time, maybe ever, given the timing and context of it all.

4 comments:
Wow. That was blistering (as Lisa said to me in an email). I can't really believe that the president would enjoy it at all. It was just so true - which couldn't really be funny, iykwim. My word!
I wonder what the next administration will do with all the fall-out from Bush's presidency.
Thanks for posting the link.
Julie
The clean-up effort required after Bush is out of power in 2009 (or perhaps sooner?) is going to be a "generational mandate" I believe. Maybe we can get the process started sooner rather than later, but I still don't plan to give my votes to any candidates simply on the basis of whether they are Republican or not. I'm hoping that the GOP will eventually come to its senses and recognize that they've put the USA in a bad place because of their excessively ideological and partisan approach.
If you are interested in reading what others have said about Colbert's speech, visit:
http://thankyoustephencolbert.org/
and perhaps leave a comment there yourself!
Thanks Dave! You're a font of good links lately. :)
Julie
Nuggets of wisdom one week, good links the next... What can I say, I'm versatile!
Post a Comment